Providing Individualized Hope
Child Life Services
When a child is in the hospital, sometimes days can extend into weeks. Child Life Services is designed to ensure that, no matter what their treatment or how long their stay, children still have their childhood. Around every corner are opportunities to play – and to learn.
How We Help
Child Life Specialists
- We Celebrate Every holiday, every milestone – from the end of a treatment to a birthday to a Prom – is not only celebrated but recreated as closely as we can to bring whatever they’re missing to them.
- We Proxy Their School Our Child Life Team work with 19 school districts in 19 counties, balancing 19 sets of rules, to ensure each child can keep up with their education and their school work. We even have access to tutors should the need arise.
- We Are All About Family Parents and siblings are considered from the moment a child comes to us for treatment. Every service performed for a sick child is extended to their sibling. And whatever the situation, our team is always ready to answer a need with their help.
Focused on the children
Child Life Specialists
Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLSs) focus on the psychosocial and developmental needs of children, collaborating with families and other healthcare providers to:
- Prepare children for medical procedures or treatment using language that children understand
- Introduce coping strategies to help reduce anxiety and enhance cooperation with the health care team
- Provide support and distraction during medical procedures
- Offer opportunities for play and expressive activities, to encourage normal development and a sense of FUN in spite of challenging circumstances
- Promote family-centered care by providing information, advocacy and support to families of pediatric patients
- Through these therapeutic activities, Child Life helps children gain coping skills, minimize stress, promote development, increase self-esteem and reduce feelings of isolation.
Chapel & Pastoral Care
The hospital’s chapel is located on the second floor of the main hospital and is open 24 hours a day. Families are welcome to use this room for prayer, meditation or quiet time. Mass is held at 11:30 a.m. each weekday, at 8 p.m. on Saturdays and at 8 a.m. on Sundays.